Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Trendy Tuesday With Lucky Linden: Trends For Natural Hair


Being that 67% of women have kinky/curly or wavy hair it makes a lot of sense that naturally curly should always be in style. This however is not the case because of stigmas and certain impressions of "big" hair. One of the people who is trying to change that is Lorraine Massey, the owner of Soho's Devachan Salon specifically targeting curly and multicultural hair. Her book came out last week "The Curly Girl Handbook" and I picked it up yesterday. I haven't read through the entire book but so far I like what I've read. It gives tips on how to style your hair in its natural state, and how to wash and even trim your own hair. I know that a lot of us (including myself) have had addictions to wash and sets but this will give you an alternative to wear and care for your own natural hair. It saves money, is green because it saves energy and will help you to accept your natural self. The book is a little extreme with limitations on products and caring for the hair. For example, the author says you may NEVER straighten your hair. I disagree, although heat is damaging you can certainly do it once in a while, just condition it extra afterward. Also she forbids certain ingredients in products such as silicones aka:cones. I feel like whatever works on your hair use it, there isn't any need for me to be radical about it. Overall the book has some great advice and even recipes for homemade hair products. I think Curly Girl Handbook is a good buy if your trying to ride the natural wave. Natural is always in style. ~Lucky Linden~

No comments:

Post a Comment