Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Drakes First Week Sales


1 DRAKE YM/CASH MONEY/UNIV MOTOWN 462,989

So Drake didn’t sell a billion copies of Thank Me Later huh. I can’t say I’m all that surprised. I figured he’d probably do a respectable 500-600K, but I was also prepared for him to do something completely ridiculous like 2 million. Over saturation can either work for you or against you and this seems to be a case of the latter. Not that I blame his handlers/Universal for flooding the market. That’s what your supposed to do with an artist that’s buzzing right? I suppose. I think there’s a balance that needs to be struck though. You don’t want people to walk into the record store and say “who the fuck is this guy”, but you also don’t want them thinking, “not this fucking guy again”.

No comments:

Post a Comment